Monday, April 20, 2009

Is It Really Investigative Journalism?





Recently Seth and I had a discussion as to what is investigative journalism.

Hi Craig. First off, I was definitely generalizing. I'm sure investigative journalism goes on on Broowaha. Some of your stuff would be a good example. But, to be more precise, when I say "real" investigative journalism, I mean the more heavy duty stuff. Spending days, weeks, or even months researching a story, interviewing people, developing sources, etc.. I've just read through a few of your stories and it appears like what you're doing is doing a bit of internet research, collecting your thoughts, and presenting that research with a (usually) strong opinion. While this could be called investigative journalism, is it really?

Seth

Hi Seth,

I see your points. At one time the Internet was the least of my research, although many of what I used to do in person is now available on the Internet. I’ve been several times to the recorder’s offices in Nevada and California and the court records in Nevada and California. I have interviewed several people. I have researched newspaper rental ads. My new site, Reno Exposes @ http://renomortgagefraudexposes.ning.com/ is where I’ve been publishing my supporting documents.

Yes, Investigative journalism is a type of reporting in which reporters deeply investigate a topic of interest, often involving crime, political corruption, or some other scandal. http://www.worldpress.org/Asia/3277.cfm

My degrees are in Physics and Philosophy. My career was law enforcement. Since my exposes took off, I’ve researched beyond what a deputy sheriff would do into what exactly is investigative journalism which is where my Philosophy training has come in very handy.

I researched for example, http://journalism.berkeley.edu/. Tthe Institute for Analytic Journalism @ http://analyticjournalism.blogharbor.com/blog. David Sparks’ Investigative Reporting, a Study in Technique @ http://books.google.com/books?id=ewWRd4KCeH8C&dq=analytical+reporting+versus+investigative+reporting&printsec=frontcover&source=in&hl=en&ei=JNnsSYrkC5TytAOd-KzrAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=11#PPP1,M1. Margaret H. DeFleur’s Computer-Assisted Investigative Reporting @ http://books.google.com/books?id=-4ItCtNvsDYC&dq=analytical+reporting+versus+investigative+reporting&printsec=frontcover&source=in&hl=en&ei=JNnsSYrkC5TytAOd-KzrAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=12. Marcy Burstiner’s Investigative Reporting from Premise to Publication @ http://www.hh-pub.com/book.php3?book=HH1918.

- and others.

De Burgh (2000) states that: "An investigative journalist is a man or woman whose profession it is to discover the truth and to identify lapses from it in whatever media may be available. The act of doing this generally is called investigative journalism and is distinct from apparently similar work done by police, lawyers, auditors and regulatory bodies in that it is not limited as to target, not legally founded and closely connected to publicity".

The investigation might call for the reporter to make use of activities such as surveillance techniques, analysis of documents, investigations of the performance of any kind of equipment involved in an accident, patent medicine, scientific analysis, social and legal issues, and the like.

Investigative journalism requires the scrutiny of details, fact-finding, and physical effort. An investigative journalist must have an analytical and incisive mind with strong self-motivation to carry on when all doors are closed, when facts are being covered up or falsified and so on. You must be able to think on your feet.

Some of the means reporters can use for their fact-finding:
• studying neglected sources, such as archives, phone records, address books, tax records and license records
• talking to neighbors
• using subscription research sources such as LexisNexis
• anonymous sources (for example whistleblowers)
• going undercover

Investigative journalism can be contrasted with analytical reporting. According to De Burgh (2000) analytical journalism takes the data available and reconfigures it, helping us to ask questions about the situation or statement or see it in a different way, whereas investigative journalists go further and also want to know whether the situation presented to us is the reality.

Often the final report assumes the garb of an Exposé.

Investigative journalism observes strict adherence to the journalistic motto that opinions can be bartered but facts are sacred.

Investigative reporting travels beyond the clichéd allegation and denial mode, striving to establish the basic facts. It transcends the impartial approach and works to decide the said issue on one way or the other. The judgment is expressed based on the facts that have been unearthed.

An investigative journalist therefore naturally faces the ire of a lot of individual and collective authorities.

I’m approaching my exposes with the same professionalism I served in the Navy, I obtained my degrees and performed my job as a deputy sheriff. I appreciate your feedback.

Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment